Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Power for Good in Education

“A Power for Good in Education”
While completing my Bachelors Degree, I had the opportunity to help others work on their defense papers and guide them through the process of showing them how to pick a topic that gave them a passionate about education.  All the way to the end of the process of actually standing in front of their peers and delivering the very thing that they are passionate about.  Since I first started working at Benedict College Child Development Center (Lab School), I came in showing my supervisor I was passionate about education.  I was the only Pre-K teacher that had the qualifications to work with children with special needs. When my supervisors saw that I was really dedicated to my work, they gave me my chance to show my leader skills.  They appointed me to be the person over the teachers and interns, because they knew I would teach and give them the right resources that will allow them to be successful in the field in which I am so passionate about. Six months ago, I transition from being a Pre-K Teacher at the Lad School into a management position within the school.  In this position, I fine that my greatest challenge is getting older educator to transition from traditional teaching styles to non-traditional ways of educating young children.  The personal qualities that I possess are the ability to help and be able to work with others. 
The above passage shows that I bring a strong work ethic to the land of online learn or should I say a non-traditional learning arena.  After talking with the advisor from Walden, I learned that Walden is a school that is willing to work with working professionals.  This University is a great fit for me, because I’m a working professional and the course outline in the field of study will help me train other teacher and future educators on new ways of implementing effective curriculums, how to assess children with purpose and to have meaningful (age appropriate) instructions.  Then after talking with a teacher that finished with her masters from WU that opened my eyes more to see what WU has to offer.  After much research, I learned that with the student to staff ratio and the interaction the teacher will have with me; I counted up my coins and said Walden University was the way.  I’m doing online because if fits better with my day to day schedule.  I feel that my greatest challenge with online will be transitioning from a classroom setting to online setting.  This is because of my learning style. I’m an auditor learner, which means I learn by hearing. So that’s why I call this professional self Portrait “A Power for Good in Education”.       

2 comments:

  1. Hello Christopher, looking forward to following your blog. I very interested in hearing more about the SCAEYC Benedict chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for following my blog! Just send me a email and I will give you more information on the SCAEYC Chapter at Benedict.

    ReplyDelete