Saturday, January 15, 2011

Favorite Childhood Book

"Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?"

             By Eric Carle



As a child I enjoyed reading "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?".  The reasons for this book being one of my all time favorites is because its a easy read, introduced me to animals, and got me ready for school. First, this book came as a easy read because it had age appropriated words. It introduced my to pop corn words such as you, do, see, I, a,etc.  Secondly, The animals in the book. While reading it my sister help me learn the sounds to each of the animals in the story. Lastly, it got me ready for my first years of school. It induced me to the term teacher and classmate.

As a teacher, I used this book to introduced my student to all of the things in the above passage. I even used it to do many other activities during my two years in the classroom.

I believe that there is more of you out there that enjoyed this book as much as I did in my youth and respect it now as a educator.

2 comments:

  1. You are right, I too enjoy this book and respect it as an educator. There is a little boy with speech delay in one of our classrooms who is drawn to this book. Time and time again he will take if off the shelf, sit down on the carpet and flip through the pages. So far he never tires of hearing it read by his teacher. It's amazing how certain books and stories have a way of deeply connecting to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book! I have used it often in my preschool classes in the past. One of my favorite activities to do after the book is introduced is to have the children take turns reading it to me. It's patterns make it so easy and the children love that they can read it. This book also leads to so many other activities: animals, patterns, etc.

    ReplyDelete