Friday, February 18, 2011

Examining Codes of Ethics

NAEYC

I-1.1—To be familiar with the knowledge base of early childhood care and education and to stay informed through continuing education and training.
·         This ideal was selected because this is something we have been discussing through out this class.  It’s meaningful to me in the fact that it’s super important for early childhood providers and/or educator to stay abreast of current events with in the field.

I-2.3—To welcome all family members and encourage them to participate in the program.
·         This ideal in the NAEYC code of ethics jumps back to the article from last week, “Children of Immigrants in Early Childhood Settings in Five Countries: A Study of Parent and Staff Beliefs”. It’s important to include all children in the learning experience.  
http://www.childrencrossingborders.org/index.html
I-3A.3—To support co-workers in meeting their professional needs and in their professional development.
·         This is meaningful to me because I’m a leader at my center.  To be a good leader I believe you have to support you staff with all aspects of professional development. Train them all to be great leaders in the field of early childhood.

DEC

We shall advocate for equal access to high quality services and supports for all children and families to enhance their quality of lives.
·         The third word in this code is the reason why it’s meaningful to me. Being a advocate for the betterment of young children.

We shall respect, value, promote, and encourage the active participation of ALL families by engaging families in meaningful ways in the assessment and intervention processes.
·         This part is meaningful to me because I was a Parent Educator as an intern in undergrad.

We shall demonstrate in our behavior and language respect and appreciation for the unique value and human potential of each child.
·         It is important to demonstrate appropriate behavior in front of the children and families.  Sometime staff get to comfortable with families and forget that they are professionals.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Christopher-
    It could just be my view of your blog, but I can barely see parts of it. The print is very faded in to the dark background you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed that the word "respect" comes up several times in the ideals you chose regarding children and I agree that each child should be valued and respected for their various strengths, abilities, and interests. You never know who that child will grow up to be or how our influence in their lives will make an impact on their future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Respect! Sometimes this word can be misused. The way you uses this word towards children is important and special. Each child should be valued and praise in your own way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christopher, I wanted to extend a thank you to you as my fellow classmate for contributing to my learning throughout this course. Your comments on my blog and discussions furthered my thinking. At one point you posted a question that challenged my thinking and caused me to go back and re-watch the video presentation from that week. As I watched it again, a quote by Renatta stood out that I had not noticed the first time. This quote by Renatta impacted me and caused me to expand on my writing in my application assignment that week. Thanks for all your contribution and your passion for this field is evident. I wish you great success in all your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete