Saturday, December 17, 2011

Welcoming Families From Around the World

The capital of Togo is Lomé. From the 11th to the 16th century, various tribes entered the region from all directions. From the 16th century to the 18th century, the coastal region was a major trading centre for Europeans in search of slaves, earning Togo and the surrounding region the name "The Slave Coast". In 1884, Germany declared Togoland a protectorate. After World War I, rule over Togo was transferred to France. Togo gained its independence from France in 1960. In 2005, his son Faure Gnassingbé was elected president (Listofcountriesoftheworld.com 2012).

The five was I will prepare myself to be culturally responsive towards this family. The first thing I would she what language they speak in Togo. Then I would learn who is the dominate family member or is it both. Following that I would learn some do’s and don’t with the family culture. Next if I have access to it I would read up on the family and what bring them to the US. Last I would se if I could find some people from there hometown so they can feel a little more comfortable.

I hope that what I have learn will give me a deeper understanding of other cultures then the ones we always deal with in our classrooms. This we even give me a chance to learn a few words in a different language then the one I study in high school and college. It will benefit the family in many ways. The first way it will benefit is that they will be greeted by someone that understand their culture. The will feel more comfortable and more likely to open up to me. It will allow the family to see that their culture is respected and they are welcome in the this country.

 

Reference
www.listofcountriesoftheworld.com 2012. Country of Togo.

2 comments:

  1. Christopher,

    Learning key words from a child's language can be so helpful. I had a little girl who came to my preschool class that spoke Japanese. She was scared and crying her first day and I tried comforting her but it did not work. I then tried saying a couple phrases I knew in Japanese and she smiled. Thats all it took to make her feel a little more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christopher, not being able to speak another language has hindered and isolated a lot of people in the U.S. especially now when people want to be open to diversity.

    ReplyDelete